Monday, June 16, 2014

Chat with Court #2: Are Book Buying Bans Effective?


Welcome to Chat with Court!  Where I talk about bookish things and non bookish things.  So basically anything!

This month, I figured we could talk about the dreaded book buying ban.  I've mostly heard about this through the Booktube community.  It's pretty self explanatory, but it's pretty much where you don't let yourself buy any books for a certain amount time.  Maybe you're trying to save money or you're running out of room or you just have way too many books in your TBR pile. 

We all try to limit buying to an extent but I find this ban a little crazy.  Say you want to enforce a ban for a month.  And you do really well, maybe you only buy one or two books, but only because they were new releases from your favorite author and you knew that you would devour them in one sitting as soon as you acquired them.  That's awesome, you did good.  Give yourself a pat on the back.  But then don't go crazy next month and buy all the books that you can find because you did so well last month during the ban.

That seems to be the trend.  Do well during the ban and reward yourself by going absolutely insane and buying 50+ books.  Doesn't that make the ban that you just went through absolutely pointless? 

I don't know, for me personally, I'm always on a book buying ban.  I limit myself to maybe four or five books a month.  If I'm buying from like Barnes & Noble or someplace where you have to pay full price.  But if I'm buying from Bookoutlet or maybe even Amazon.  Then I give myself a little more leeway because the books are cheaper.

So, how do you limit yourself from going crazy and buying all the books?  Do you attempt the dreaded book buying ban or do you just try and take it easy, like I do?  And what do you think of bans in general?  Effective or ineffective?

And let me know what you thought about this topic.  Was it totally useless?  Did it give you some perspective?  Let me know!  And feel free to leave some topics you would like me to discuss in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment