Wednesday, February 25, 2015

DNF Review: These Broken Stars (Starbound #1) by Amie Kaufman & Meagan Spooner!

Luxury spaceliner Icarus suddenly plummets from hyperspace into the nearest planet. Lilac LaRoux and Tarver Merendsen survive -- alone. Lilac is the daughter of the richest man in the universe. Tarver comes from nothing, a cynical war hero. Both journey across the eerie deserted terrain for help. Everything changes when they uncover the truth.

The Starbound Trilogy: Three worlds. Three love stories. One enemy.

Description taken from Goodreads


My Review

Wow, I was surprised with this one.  I was so excited to finally read it.  There was so much hype and I felt like everyone loved it.  I loved how it was described as Titanic meets space.  I have an unhealthy obsession with Titanic and I love space.  It should have been the perfect book.

It absolutely was not!  Both characters, Lilac and Tarver, were severely unlikable.  One was a spoiled brat that I just couldn’t take seriously and prayed that she would die in the first life threatening event.  That’s how much I despised her.  The other was extremely bland and boring, he had no personality whatsoever.

The plot was originally interesting.  It’s what made me pick it up in the first place and what made me get to the 200 page mark but it just ended up getting so boring.  The world building was horrible.  I have no idea what I was I reading about.  Where are they?  How did that come to be?  Is Earth still around?  Did Earth ever exist in this world?  I feel like I read enough that the authors should have mentioned this by that point if they were going to fill the readers in on it.

Usually, I can get through a book that has awesome characters but an okay plot or excellent world building but the characters aren’t that great.  Either way I can usually push on and feel somewhat satisfied.  But when it’s a double or triple whammy?  Horrible characters, boring plot and zero world building?  I just can’t do it.

Since I had no connection to the world or characters and I didn’t need to read this for a review, I really felt no remorse for DNFing it.  I just have way too many books on my shelves that I want to get to and don’t have the time or the patience to continue reading a book that I’m not enjoying.    Maybe one day I’ll go back to it but it’s pretty doubtful.


Characters 1.5/5
Plot 2/5
Feels 0/5
Writing 2.5/5
Overall  1.5/5

Cover 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment