Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Chat with Court #1: The Usefulness of the TBR Jar

Welcome to the first Chat with Court!  Featuring me, Court!  Obviously.





So I figured I would make this a monthly thing.  I'll discuss some things relevant to the book blogging community.  And maybe I'll throw in some other stuff as well.  Whatever you guys want to hear, just let me know!  I would love to hear your thoughts on future topics.

I thought that this month we could discuss The TBR Jar.  I've seen this mostly in the BookTube community, I'm not sure who first started it and I'm totally NOT taking crediting for it at all but I thought that it was such a great idea that I thought that I would make my own and share my jar and my thoughts on it with you guys.

If you don't know what The TBR Jar is, then let me explain.  We all have massive TBRs, it's just inevitable.  So, what you do is get a jar or whatever can hold slips of paper.  Write down all the books you haven't read that you have on your shelf and each month you pick a book out of the jar at random and you have to read that book.

 I took it a bit farther, and figured that since I have so many books that if I pick a book and end up not really wanting to read it then I have to get rid of it.

gif shock photo: shock gif 24f9rmh.gif

I know, it's crazy.  But maybe that will thin things out a bit.

I think this could be a good idea.  I just hope that I can follow through with it and my jar just doesn't end up as one more thing taking up room on my shelves.

 Here is a look at my 'jar', it's really a cover for a candle that I flipped over.



I decided to pull two slips for the month of April!



Since both are part of a series then I am going to try and read all of them.  If I don't then that's okay, I'll just carry them over to May and pick out two more.  Even though I've read the first two books in the Covenant series, I think I might just re-read them cause I really don't remember that much.

So, what do you guys think?  Do you think this is a good idea to shrink that towering TBR pile?  Or do you think that it's just a waste of time and paper?  Let me know your opinion on it!  And if you have your own TBR Jar then I would love to see it and know how it's working for you.

1 comment:

  1. I've never heard of the TBR jar, but that's such a good idea! I usually tame my to-read list every so often by cutting out books I'm no longer interested in or books that I can't get at my library (I'm a library child - I have to love books before I buy them). It's worked pretty well for me!

    - Kritika @ Snowflakes & Spider Silk

    ReplyDelete