Monday, January 26, 2015

Review: Shatter Me (Shatter Me #1) by Tahereh Mafi

I have a curse
I have a gift

I am a monster
I'm more than human

My touch is lethal
My touch is power

I am their weapon
I will fight back

Juliette hasn’t touched anyone in exactly 264 days.

The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette’s touch is fatal. As long as she doesn’t hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don’t fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war – and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she’s exactly what they need right now.

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.

Description taken from Goodreads


My Review


I’m definitely late to the Shatter Me love fest.  I really don’t know why it took me so long to buy this book but I finally did and I really enjoyed it.  And at least now I don’t have to wait to read the next books!  So, that's always a plus!

I feel like Shatter Me has it all!  Great characters, interesting but beautiful writing.  It also had a dystopian feel, a post apocalyptic feel, a bit of a sci fi element and a lot of romance.  This book has everything.

The plot was definitely interesting.  We aren’t told too much about it and that makes me feel like this whole story is mostly focused on the future than the past.  It also feels very character driven which is fine by me, I love it when a story has fleshed out characters.

I really loved Juliette.  I felt so bad for her and how she can’t touch anyone.  You can tell from the writing style how conflicted and confused and hurt and how alone she feels.  And she just seems like she’s so good.  Like a genuinely nice person despite what has happened to her.  It makes the story that much more sickening. 

Adam is definitely interesting and I do like him but he seems too good to be true.  I don’t know about him yet.

And then we have Warner.  I have heard a lot about Warner from everyone who has read this series.  You don’t really see a lot of him in this first book but I feel like there is definitely two sides to him.  I do know that I want to see more of him and can’t wait to read his novella, Destroy Me.  As of right now though, I don’t get the hype surrounding him. 

The secondary characters, Kenji and James are hilarious and adorable, respectively. 

All of the characters are incredible.  I loved every single one that we were introduced to.

I do have to say that the writing is beautiful.  I rarely ‘highlight’ favorite quotes or passages but I felt like that’s all I was doing.  The metaphors made it so beautiful.  I especially loved how birds symbolized hope.  Just so beautiful!

Overall, a great book.  I would love to see more world building in the next book just to clear some things up, though.  


Inside                                       Outside  
 Characters 4/5                         Cover   5/5
                     Plot           4/5
                     Feels       4.5/5
                     Writing     4/5
                     Overall   4.1/5

No comments:

Post a Comment